At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Apr 22, 2008 at 9:22:30 AM) pinupchk
0 followers
Tivo Series2 and digital cable box problems
Apr 21, 2008 at 9:04:27 PM (Updated: Apr 21, 2008 at 9:13:02 PM)  |  #1
I am trying to hook up my digital cable box (Motorola) to work with my Tivo Series 2 DVR, however when I go through the Guided Setup, I am having problems with the changing channels testing.

I don't think the problem is the IR cables, because at times the channels will change, but there is no video on the screen.
Maybe I don't have the cables connected correctly.....
(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Apr 21, 2008 at 10:41:47 PM  |  #2
So, maybe it would help if you described in detail how you have the cable box connected to the Tivo, and the Tivo to the TV.
(Last Login: Apr 28, 2014 at 8:35:11 AM) mawhite
mawhite
Apr 21, 2008 at 10:42:29 PM  |  #3
How do you have them connected?

what kind of inputs are on your tv?

what other devices are connected to your tv?
(Last Login: Apr 22, 2008 at 9:22:30 AM) pinupchk
0 followers
Apr 22, 2008 at 9:24:21 AM  |  #4
We got it to show the channels and change them properly, now we think the problem is with the cable box; each channel is now stating: channel should be ready shortly.
(Last Login: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:57:54 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Apr 22, 2008 at 9:51:29 AM  |  #5
> each channel is now stating: channel should be ready shortly.

That usually indicates that the signal to the cable box is too weak for it to properly handle it. Check the coaxial cable connection from the wall to the cable box. If there's a splitter in the run, you may want to try removing it temporarily. I've had splitters go "bad" at times and have seen this happen.

Alternatively, your cable provider might be able to tweak your signal somewhat to improve the signal strength.

- Bob
(Last Login: Apr 28, 2008 at 1:36:17 PM) ddl113
0 followers
Apr 28, 2008 at 2:22:23 PM  |  #6
Matt: Hi, I have Toshiba DMS with Tivo for several years hooked up to analog TV with cable, no box.

Bought Tivo HD DVR record 2 shows watch one.

We are getting HD boxes from cable company for 3 TVS after they get the necessary codes from TIVO for the cards.

I want to hook BOTH Tivos up to the same TV in the living room. Right now I have the Toshiba DMS and a Sharp DVD/VCR hooked up to it, but the VCR will go.

Can you tell me how I do this,and what I need to tell the cable company. If you could give me the 1-2-3s on this issue, I would appreciate it. You have helped me before, and resolved my problem pronto. Could you contact me at my email address? Should I list it here?
Doris// THANKS
mawhite
Apr 29, 2008 at 6:22:21 AM  |  #7
what inputs are available on the toshiba DMS?

does it have component inputs (red/green/blue)?

I have 3 tivos connected to my tv in our living room (1 HD, 1 dual tuner, and 1 standard tivo).

I have a receiver/amp that has component inputs and a component output.
5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
(Last Login: Jun 28, 2008 at 1:20:58 PM) grandma11
0 followers
May 2, 2008 at 7:10:46 PM  |  #8
It is presently connected with red/yellow/white but has empty red/green/blue. The TV is analog and the cable company is coming Monday to put in converter boxes for 3 TVs.
I have a DVD/VCR hooked up for the TV but want to remove that and install the new TIVO HD DVR.
I hope this answers your question.
What is a receiver/amp?
Must the two DVRs be hooked up to the phone (Split, I guess)?
0 followers
May 2, 2008 at 7:12:19 PM  |  #9
PS I changed my log on so you are still answering the same person. :-)
mawhite
May 3, 2008 at 5:53:00 PM  |  #10
I thought the toshiba device was an amplifier with speakers (receiver amp) that acted as an Audio visual switch.

I realize now that it's the toshiba tivo with a dvd.

what are all the inputs available on your tv?

you should be able to take the dvd/vcr out of the loop and put the hd tivo in it's place. just make sure that it has a split from the cable coming from the wall that does not go through a cable converter.

the tivo hd uses cable cards instead of a converter and there is no way to connect it to a cable box.

each tivo will need access to program updates and a phone spliter would be fine.

do you have broadband internet access? if so you may wish to consider connecting the tivos to your network.
5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
0 followers
May 5, 2008 at 12:00:26 PM  |  #11
Yes, I have Verizon Broadband and home network with wired router. Can you tell me if I can hook up a wireless router to my computer as well? And then, would I need a wireless adapter for both TIVOS or just one for the TV. This has me so confused (As you can see).

The cable man just installed the digital converter box on 3 tvs, and the Toshiba TIVO is in process of gathering the information.

After that finishes, I am going to hook up the Tivo HD to the TV. I see it has two vertical columns of inputs - red/white/red/blue/green. The cable man says I may need a box for that TIVO.

He also insisted I need a code for the Toshiba TIVO though both TIVO Tech and Toshiba Tech said NO I DON't. So we'll see.
0 followers
May 6, 2008 at 6:46:00 PM (Updated: May 8, 2008 at 9:54:59 AM)  |  #12
Oh what a pain this has been. The cable guy insists I need a code for the cable remote and the cable converter box. So far I only have the Toshiba with Tivo hooked up to the TV and the VCR is still in place. Last night I had set TIVO to record House, and we switched from VIdeo 1 with TV remote to watch another channel. The cable box took over and recorded what we were watching.

Earlier in the day I talked with both TIVO and Toshiba. The latter told me about the RF thing which we found in the original box and the cable guy installed it. He told us to set the new converter boxes (3/3 TVs) to channel 23 when we went to bed and then the cable company would activate the new Digital lineup we chose. I had TIVO programmed to record "Carrier" on PBS. When I got up this a.m., the converter was reading channel 7 (PBS). (The cable company was down so the upgrade wouldn't have taken effect anyway.

SO, THEN I read the book that came with Toshiba/Tivo about tenting the converter and RF thing with black cloth to prevent any signal from entering cable box. Now I will see tonight if TIVO records a channel, and the VCR records another, and we are also able to watch Idol. If not, I will be pesting you tomorrow night.

I haven't even given another thought to hooking up the second TIVO--I'm worn out. At 70,mawhite, this isn't all that FUN. 10 years ago I'd be solving the problem like a semi-pro.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 561
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS