At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Nov 28, 2013 at 11:14:37 PM) lenev
0 followers
Change HD channel; then no sound
Mar 27, 2008 at 11:43:58 PM (Updated: Mar 27, 2008 at 11:54:19 PM)  |  #1
Equipment: Tivo HD; M-Cable card; Comcast; HDMI to Sharp HD TV (52SE94U).
All equipment is brand new and the TiVo just did an upgrade to 9.2a-01-2-652.

If I change to one of my HD channels (ch 702-709) then sometimes there is no sound. Strangely, clicking any number key on the remote will usually bring back the sound. I then need to quickly click the clear key before it changes channels. The signal level as measured by the TiVo is about 92. It does not happen all the time, but often enough. This is very annoying and I may have to return my TiVo if this cannot be fixed. I have only had this setup for 2 days now and so have not had much experience with recording yet to see if this problem also exists on recorded shows.

Could this be a cable card problem? Or maybe is is some strange DRM incompatibility with HDMI? I have not yet tried this on component video.
Any ideas on this weird problem?
0 followers
Mar 28, 2008 at 1:59:09 AM  |  #2
Sorry to reply to my own msg, but this problem seems to be HDMI related. The TiVo is not at fault as it is properly outputting audio (at least on the analog outputs). I will complain to Sharp.
0 followers
Mar 28, 2008 at 9:46:54 PM  |  #3
Ongoing problem: This is not just a changing channel issue. It also happens when I fast forward or rewind a show that I have recorded. I am now convinced this problem is due to an incompatibility between TiVo's implementation of HDMI and Sharps. I do not know which is at fault and I do not know who to turn to. I do know that I cannot use my HD TiVo with Sharp's new line of TVs. This is very frustrating. The sound works just fine via the component inputs but it fails many times via the HDMI input.

If you want to see a 1 minute sample video, download this 17MB example. In it, the audio fails twice when fast forwarding/rewinding the show. The unreadable message on the TV is: "Receiving auto control signal (now)". Sometimes the audio does work even after this message is displayed, but that did not happen during this video.
URL= http://64.142.124.30/tivo/

Help! Does anyone have any idea on how to get someone to look at this. The TV is just now hitting the streets, so I may be the first to find this.
(Last Login: Jun 18, 2008 at 1:43:15 PM) jkm123
0 followers
Jun 18, 2008 at 2:33:42 PM (Updated: Jun 18, 2008 at 2:51:04 PM)  |  #4
FYI:

Try setting your tivo audio setting to dolby digital pcm. Also if you are having problems with your video resetting after exit from fast forward switch to component video instead of HDMI.

The problem seems to be unique to Tivo HD (latest one, not the first HD box) + Sharp:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=382540
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=389836

Hopefully someone at tivo will buy themselves a sharp LCD (52d64u for example) and get this problem fixed...
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 768
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS