At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Apr 6, 2008 at 7:02:44 PM) rjmeredeth
0 followers
play mp4, m4v, mov files
Jan 20, 2008 at 12:40:02 AM  |  #1
Maybe someone can help me. I have a series2 DT and Tivo Desktop 2.5.1. I put in the license key to upgrade to PLUS today and I'm having trouble transferring some files. When I put a m4v, mp4, or mov file in my Tivo recordings folder, not only do they not show up, when I restart the Tivo Desktop software, the "now playing" list in the software is blank; even my .tivo files don't show up. I can still transfer from the tivo to the PC, but when I select the PC's name in "now playing" from the Tivo, I get the "listing is unavailable " message. If I remove the mp4, m4v, or mov files, everything works again; .tivo to PC, PC to tivo.
(Last Login: October 31, 2014 2:45 PM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Jan 20, 2008 at 8:18:22 PM  |  #2
Does this happen with any and all files of one of the three types, or is it restricted to a single file, or just certain files of those types? Is there any way you can narrow it down, or conversely show that any single file of any one of those types will always cause the problem?
0 followers
Jan 20, 2008 at 8:43:48 PM  |  #3
well, it seems to be any files of those types as far as i have been able to tell. I've been trying it with some podcasts that I have: Tekzilla (m4v), Photoshop User TV (mov), and Systm (m4v). I also tries with some DVDs that I converted to view on my Ipod (mp4). I've also tried with some generic avi files that I had and they seem to work. the funny thing is I saw the Tekzilla podcasts in the now playing once, just after I put in the plus key, but not again.
Are there restrictions on the resolution or bitrate of mpeg4 files that desktop plus will convert?
curiousmark
Jan 21, 2008 at 9:19:14 AM (Updated: Jan 21, 2008 at 9:21:30 AM)  |  #4
>>>Are there restrictions on the resolution or bitrate of mpeg4 files that desktop plus will convert?

The current version of Desktop will not convert high def, if that is what you mean. It transcodes to a standard def resolution and bit rate, but it should still work. I wonder if something in your installation is corrupted. I can get podcasts to work, not those specific ones which I have never tried, but the ones that work for me are mp4. DL.TV works fine for me, you can try it just so we can compare apples and apples.

The only formats that TiVo Desktop can accept in an AVI container are Xvid and DivX. I suspect your "generic" AVIs must have been one or the other of those. Since both of those are based on MPEG-4, I am not sure why they would work and the other would not. Perhaps the difficulty is with the audio? Not that such speculation is much help. Did you verify that they all play right in WMP?

One thing you can try is to watch the TiVo Transfer and TiVo Converter processes in Task manager to see if they blow up when you try to transfer one of these.
0 followers
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:09:40 PM  |  #5
Hmmm. I may be having some sort of codec problem. DL.tv blows up also in Tivo desktop, but WMP won't play it either. WMP gives an error saying it's a unknown extension. It gives the same error for m4v files, but will still play them, and the same for mov files. any ideas where I can get the correct codecs?
curiousmark
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:26:04 PM  |  #6
>>>any ideas where I can get the correct codecs?

Unfortunately that is a very big question with literally hundreds of different answers.

For MPEG-2 codecs that are compatible with TiVo Desktop you can visit www.tivo.com/codec but that won't help with this issue.

All I can suggest is some google searches and paying a visit to video encoding help sites and discussion forums.
0 followers
Jan 21, 2008 at 12:34:56 PM  |  #7
thanks for your help. I hadn't noticed this before, since I usually play most of my media files through itunes, at least I know where to start now.
0 followers
Jan 22, 2008 at 11:58:39 PM  |  #8
Well, I rolled up my sleeves, got some codec utilities like sherlock, codec sniper, and codec installer. Reinstalled broken codecs till everything checked out great. I can play mp4, mov, and m4v files in WMP, VLC, and iTunes. and I still have the same problem in Tivo Desktop. I can put mpeg4 avi files in and they transfer and play fine, but files with mp4, mov, and m4v extensions seem to confuse Tivo Desktop and the "now playing" list on the PC goes away and the Tivo won't even show the pc in its now playing list until i remove the offending file or shortcut from the Tivo recordings folder. I don't even have to restart, just wait a minute and the list comes back on the pc. according to gspot all the offending files I've tried seem to be h.264 encoded, but the codec seems to be installed okay. My next step is to reinstall tive desktop i guess. Is there a way to completely remove the old Tivo Desktop? Add/Remove Programs seems to leave a good bit behind; folders registry keys, etc.
curiousmark
Jan 23, 2008 at 10:38:44 AM  |  #9
There is a registry cleaner utility on the TiVo website where you download TiVo Desktop. It will help some. You can also do a file and folder search for files and folders with TiVo in their names and delete those. Be careful, Tivoli, an IBM product, has tivo in its name and if you have it, you do NOT want to delete the files and folders it owns. Next you can go into the registry and do the same search. Again, only delete those keys that unambiguously belong to TiVo Desktop.

It sounds like you have a good handle on it, although I do not envy your needing to dig so deep. I guess I have been lucky and it has always just worked no muss or fuss on over 4 different computers now. Although I have not been trying to play back much h.264 stuff. It has been mostly Xvid and MPEG-2 for me, but some recent MP4 podcasts just worked first time.

Good luck, and I hope this gets it working for you.

CuriousMark
0 followers
Jan 23, 2008 at 11:16:39 AM  |  #10
Thanks, I appreciate all your help. Yeah, It works fine on my laptop when I tried it there, too. Unfortunately the laptop belongs to my employer and I didn't want to leave it on there. I'll give the reg cleaner a try and see if I can start clean. Thanks again for the advice!

Robb
(Last Login: Apr 6, 2008 at 10:48:17 PM) nmoore2001
0 followers
Apr 6, 2008 at 1:10:13 PM  |  #11
Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the exact same problem with .m4v files... and I've tried running the TiVo desktop on 2 different PC's with the same problem.
0 followers
Apr 6, 2008 at 7:07:44 PM (Updated: Apr 6, 2008 at 7:22:46 PM)  |  #12
Unfortunately no, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I tried Codec Sniper and a few other codec tools, nothing worked. I just decided to consider my money on Tivo Desktop wasted and went with pyTiVo ( www.pytivo.com ). It works MUCH better. The quality of the transcoded files is better, it transfers faster, and it's FREE!

Good luck,
Robb
(Last Login: Apr 6, 2008 at 10:48:17 PM) nmoore2001
0 followers
Apr 6, 2008 at 10:50:57 PM  |  #13
Thanks for the info, I'll try that. I've never been impressed with the stability of Tivo desktop anyway so this looks like a good solution to that problem... plus it runs as a service! Ideal! Thanks again for the info.

Nick
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 4157
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS