At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: Feb 28, 2009 at 3:32:28 PM) bspaith
0 followers
Computer does not show up in Now Playing List
Dec 28, 2007 at 10:14:12 PM  |  #1
I have been using 2 TiVo's (Bedroom and Kithen) for YEARS with a Linksys Wireless Router (WRT54GS) and everything always worked fine.

For some reason all of a sudden my computer does not show up on either TiVo in the Now Playing List.

Both of the TiVo's can see each other accross the network and transfer files between each other and TiVo Desktop (2.5.1) can see both TiVo's and can transfer files from them.

Both Tivo's can access the network and obtain information.

Both TiVo's can use Amazon on the Internet and download movies.

I have purchased a new router and that did not solve the problem.

I have spent HOURS on the phone with both TiVo support and Linksys support but neither of them have solved the problem.

I have shut down my firewall (ZoneAlarm Pro) and Norton Antivirus and that didn't solve the problem either.

I have updated the firmware in the router and that didn't help either.

Hope someone has a suggestion.
(Last Login: Aug 9, 2014 at 1:57:37 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Dec 28, 2007 at 10:46:03 PM  |  #2
Does the computer still have *.tivo files in the My TiVo Recordings folder? Can the TiVo see Music of photos shared from the computer in the Music, Photos, products and more screen? What TiVo processes are shown running on the processes tab of task manager on the PC? How does everything connect, wired, wireless, encryption, SSID, etc?
0 followers
Dec 29, 2007 at 9:44:46 AM  |  #3
Mark -

After posting on the site here last night I tried Photos and Music and they showed up and worked - I was really surprised and I don't think I had even tried that previously.

Then even that stopped - they had shown up as R Spaith (obviously my name) and then they just didn't show up any longer. In that section I tried adding a new server but none of them were found so I deleted them.

I am using wireless Linksys router and wireless USB connections in both of the TiVo's - one of them is by Linksys and the other is branded Tivo and it came with one of the Tivo's.

No encryption - SSID is the same as my network name - BOBSCOMPUTER (they had different names but I changed them to the same hoping that would work but it didn't) - that shows up in the TiVo Settings section and both TiVo's can log onto the network and download the TiVo information - usually once a day and always shows up as Successful.

The running TiVo processes in Task Manager are:
TivoBeacon,exe - TivoNotify.exe - and TivoTransfer.exe and the computer always shows TiVo server as running.

I really appreciate you taking time to try to resolve this problem - it is driving me crazy - not really life shattering but I just hate when something doesn't work as it is supposed to work.
0 followers
Dec 29, 2007 at 9:50:19 AM  |  #4
I forgot to answer one of your questions - there are no .TiVo files in the My TiVo Recordings folder - I have tried leaving that folder empty and also tried adding some files to it - .mpg4 and .mov

I also failed to mention that last night while working on this, my computer showed up BRIEFLY in the Now Playing List and then it disappeared and was never seen again. I didn't even get a chance to try to access it.
0 followers
Dec 29, 2007 at 10:16:55 AM  |  #5
After my last post to you I noticed that the TiVo server showed in the tray that is was not running (after I said it was ALWAYS running) so I started it and checked the TiVo and there was my BOBSCOMPUTER - when I tried to open it I got the following message:

The BOBSCOMPUTER (Robert W PC's Now Playing List could not be displayed because it's unavailable. Press Left to return to the now playing list.

I pressed Left and BOBSCOMPUTER was no longer in the list.

I just looked at the server icon and it is showing as not running - what could cause it to stop?

I will start it again and check Photos and Music before looking for BOBSCOMPUTER to see if they show up.

Back in a minute...

Before I even had a chance to check the TiVo I noticed that the server had shut down again - I started it up again and checked the Task Manager and now TiVoServer.exe is showing up there as well as the other three I listed in earlier post.

I just checked the TiVo again and my Photos and Music were listed - I checked the Now Playing List again there was BOBSCOMPUTER list but when I attempted to access it I got the same error message.

Is it only me that is more and more confused?

I once again checked Task Manager and now TiVoServer.exe is NOT listed there BUT the servier icon shows it is still running but it wasn't running so I started it again.
0 followers
Dec 29, 2007 at 11:57:30 AM  |  #6
Mark -

Could this TRULY BE A CHRISTMAS MIRACLE???

I kept having to restart the TiVo server and now all of a sudden everything is working!!

I have no idea why but it is - both the TiVo's can now see the computer and don't give me the error message - I am able to transfer files from the computer to either TiVo.

I don't know why the server keeps stopping but for right now it is running.

I am going to re-boot AGAIN and see if the server keeps running. Normally the computer runs 24/7 so it doesn't get restarted very often.

I will keep you informed and I want to thank you again for your help - I had not looked at Task Manager for what TiVo stuff was running until you mentioned it - now I keep looking at it to make sure the server is running since sometimes the server icon shows it is running and it really isn't.

Thank you - thank you - THANK YOU!!!

Bob
0 followers
Dec 29, 2007 at 11:58:55 AM  |  #7
Also I just returned the new router that I had purchased because that did not solve the problem.

I am now using the router that I have used for years.
(Last Login: Aug 9, 2014 at 1:57:37 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Dec 29, 2007 at 12:09:01 PM (Updated: Dec 29, 2007 at 12:16:01 PM)  |  #8
>>>The running TiVo processes in Task Manager are:
TivoBeacon,exe - TivoNotify.exe - and TivoTransfer.exe and the computer always shows TiVo server as running.

That list should include TiVoServer.exe. Without the TiVo server running, the beacon will not announce the available services and the computer should not show up.
The server could be shutting down because you run your computer for very long periods between reboots, or because some other software on the PC, probably security related, is causing it to shut down.

One thing you can try is to make sure your antivirus on-access scan settings exclude the folders TiVo Desktop uses, or excludes the media file types it is serving. I don't know if that will help the server stay up longer or not, but it is worth a try.
0 followers
Dec 29, 2007 at 4:09:11 PM  |  #9
After the last re-boot the server is still running and everything is working as it should.

I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Thank you again...
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 583
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS