At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) bodeanslvr
0 followers
My refurb series 2 dt replacement keeps powering up and shutting down
Aug 29, 2007 at 11:41:45 AM  |  #1
Yesterday I received my refurb series 2 dt, it replaced my basic series 2 that went out after the neighbors house got struck by lightning. Anyway, as far as I can see I hooked up this Tivo the same way as the last Tivo. I am only plugged into a phone line not to the computer or anything other than my dvd player. I went through all the set up questions and it went through it's connecting process and then I believe I reached the end, because it said it would be pulling tv scheduling through the line, then my tv said no signal and the Tivo started to power up again. I have gone through power up, almost there, the little Tivo cartoon and then it shuts itself down and does it all over again. I have unplugged it from the surge protector and plugged it back in and the same thing. I left it plugged in over night and awoke to the same problem. Three times I have seen it go all the way to the Tivo Central Screen and even once selected the Now Playing List even got to see the Tivo girl do her talking, but every time it shuts itself off and then powers up. It seems like a never ending cycle.
Any help would be appreciated.
Joyce
(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Aug 29, 2007 at 12:14:52 PM  |  #2
Random rebooting is not normal. Call support and arrange for a swap. The unit is DOA.

Of course, the TiVo is plugged into the same socket the old one was, you might want to ensure the electrical connection there is still sound. If the TiVo was zapped, you may have some sort of electrical fault at the socket...
(Never Logged In) bodeanslvr
0 followers
Aug 29, 2007 at 3:25:16 PM  |  #3
Thank you once again sinanju. You helped me last week with my first Tivo. I must admit they are very quick sending new units. I don't know electrical things at all, but the new power surge that I bought has two lights one for grounded and one for protected and they are both lit which the instructions say they should be. Every thing else that is connected is ok, TV, phone, VCR. Would that mean that the electrical connection is sound?
(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Aug 29, 2007 at 3:56:24 PM  |  #4
No, not really. It means that the protector is getting power and there is no ground fault. It doesn't really say that the power source is stable and clean.

I work at home and even here, in clear weather, I hear the UPS attached to my TiVo kick in for a few seconds about once per week -- I've disabled the alarm, but I still hear the relay clock. I had a furniture maker using a brad gun in my house and every time he pulled the trigger, the UPS kicked in.

So, power can be dirty. A damaged socket can be good enough to light a lightbulb, but maybe not safe for electronics. The better bet is that the TiVo is DOA and that there is nothing wrong with the socket, but if I lost an appliance to a lightening strike, I'd probably have a chat with my electrician, anyway.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 405
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS