At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) rfairman
0 followers
No signal from Cable Box with Tivo 2 DT and Cablevision
Jul 25, 2007 at 10:44:04 AM  |  #1
Hello. I have a Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner and a Cablevision Scientific Atlanta Explorer 4200 Digital Cable Box. My Tivo says it can't find the signal on the cable box in inputs.

I have tried several things to try and correct this. I have restarted both the Tivo and the cable box several times. I have replaced the A/V cables with new ones (not brand new, but different wants I had verified as working.) I even got desperate and ran the cable box first through a VCR and then tried connecting it to the Tivo. Nothing has worked.

I did hook the cable box directly to the TV through a VCR and bypassed the Tivo and everything worked fine. So the cable box is functioning.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I noticed this problem shortly after I first added a VCR to my Tivo setup. I followed the diagram that came with my Tivo. However, I don't understand why this would have affected the cable box setup as I didn't change anything there when connecting the VCR. I just ran the Coax wire out of the Tivo to the VCR and then Coax from the VCR to the TV as the diagram said. The cable box wasn't touched at all.

This wasn't much of a problem before but Cablevision just changed their setup and now I need the box for any channel over 21. I can hardly watch any TV now.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
(Never Logged In) vacationready
0 followers
Jul 26, 2007 at 10:55:00 AM (Updated: Jul 26, 2007 at 10:58:42 AM)  |  #2
Is there a picture when you plug the coax directly in to the TiVo?
(Last Login: April 18, 2014 5:18 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Jul 26, 2007 at 12:06:00 PM (Updated: Jul 26, 2007 at 12:09:07 PM)  |  #3
I'm running a DT with Cablevision SA 4200 in northern NJ. Here is how I have it setup. I would follow this setup to get everything working without the VCR.

Cable split, one to SA 4200, one to Tivo RF in
SA 4200 HD DVI connector to TV (I have a HD cable box and feed HD directly to the TV so I can watch in HD when I want)
SA 4200 audio out to TV
SA 4200 S-video out to Tivo S-video input
SA 4200 audio out (red/white) to Tivo audio input
Tivo S-video out to TV S-video input
Tivo audio out to TV audio input
IR blaster plugged into Tivo IR jack and IR blasters located on SA 4200

Rerun guided setup on the Tivo so it knows where signal is coming from and how to control the SA 4200. You will need to make sure the TV is on the input that the Tivo is connected to.

What is your goal with the VCR? If all you want to do is watch existing video tapes, then connect the VCR directly to the TV, assuming you have sufficient inputs. If you want to record to the VCR, connect a red/white/yellow cable from the Tivo output to the VCR inputs. I would not recommend playing the VCR through the Tivo.
0 followers
Jul 27, 2007 at 10:23:26 AM  |  #4
There is a picture when I plug the coax directly from the wall into the Tivo and there is a picture when I plug the coax from the cable box into the TV. I haven't hooked the coax from the cable box into the coax in on the Tivo because I didn't think it would be able to change the channels with the Dual Tuner setup. Thanks for the response.
0 followers
Jul 27, 2007 at 10:45:43 AM  |  #5
Thank you for the suggestion. I've never used the S-video connections because my TV doesn't have them. In fact, it doesn't even even have the Red/White/Yellow connections in the back. It has them in the front, but that is an alternate video for the TV which I have my DVD player connected to. The only connection on the back is the RF in, which is what I have going from the Tivo RF out. I could try using S-video to connect the SA4200 to the Tivo. I never have in the past because I figured the quality gained was then lost when I had to use the RF connectors to the TV.

The goal of using the VCR was to record shows off the Tivo. I used the setup suggested in the book that came with the Tivo. The setup that I had working before I had the VCR hooked in was:

Cable split, one to SA4200, one to Tivo RF in.
SA4200 Red/White/Yellow output to Red/White/Yellow input on Tivo.
RF out on Tivo to RF in on TV
IR blaster to control SA4200.

The only thing I changed when hooking up the VCR was taking the RF out from the Tivo and connecting it to the RF in on the VCR and then taking the RF out on the VCR and connecting to the RF in on TV. I didn't think this would affect the SA4200 at all and I didn't rerun guided setup. Was that my mistake.

I put everything back the way I had it originally and it still didn't work. I'm at a loss. Could the Red/White/Yellow connectors on the back of the Tivo have gone bad?

Thank you in advance for anymore help.
(Last Login: April 18, 2014 5:18 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Jul 27, 2007 at 11:29:46 AM  |  #6
Your original setup as described should work fine.

I would not insert the VCR in the Tivo RF out. If you want to record off the Tivo, use the red/white/yellow from Tivo out to the VCR input. If you put the VCR in the RF loop, you may need to put it into standby or pass through for the Tivo signal to get to the TV. Also make sure the TV RF output switch is set for the correct channel (3 or 4) and the VCR is tuned to this channel. The TV would also need to be set to the same channel.

S-video would give you a slightly better picture, especially if you are going to record to the VCR but it should work fine with the yellow composite.

Not sure why it is not working. I suggest you check the Tivo RF channel out and the TV channel are set the same. Do you see the Tivo menus and just not the live TV picture?

I would repeat guided setup as the next step.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 447
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS