At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) runner262
0 followers
VOIP SET Up
Apr 28, 2007 at 4:02:55 PM  |  #1
My husband switched our phone service to voip and now our Tivo will not update. Can anyone tell me in simple terms whats the easiest way to get updates. We had it hooked up through a wireless phone modem. I don't mind unhooking it from the TV and plugging it into the computer weekly for updates if thats possible.
(Last Login: Jun 10, 2014 at 8:51:25 PM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Apr 28, 2007 at 6:35:17 PM  |  #2
Since you have VOIP, you mush have broadband internet. What model Tivo do you have? If it is a Sereis 2 or 3, it would be easiest to hook it up to your network. Do you have a router? Do you have wireless or can you run an Ethernet cable between where your cable/DSL modem and the Tivo is?
(Last Login: Jan 15, 2009 at 10:26:15 PM) chrissieberg
0 followers
Apr 29, 2007 at 9:58:02 AM  |  #3
I have Vonage and had a horrible time connecting until I did lots of reading on this site. This is going to sound really crazy but it worked for me and I hope it works for you...

Change your dial-in area code to the (212) area code, New York. The theory is that because TIVO's corporate offices are in NY, then you get the fastest/strongest connection. I tried several of the new york numbers but I have had the most success with using the dial-in number (212) 271-7103 - Watch, now everyone will use this one and I won't get in any more :-)

Then use this for your "Dial Prefix": ,#034 (comma, pound, zero, three, four)

Use this for your "Call Waiting Prefix": *99 (star, nine, nine)

Tone/Pulse Dialing: Tone

Availability Detection: Off

Dial Tone Detection: Off

If this doens't work for you, do a search in this forum under "Vonage". There are lots of other combinations that worked for other people that may work for you.

Good luck!

Chrissie
(Last Login: Sep 19, 2013 at 6:07:42 PM) bhhaynes
0 followers
Sep 19, 2013 at 6:08:46 PM  |  #4

We have broadband internet and the house is wifi'd

Can someone tell me how to get my tivo to update wirelessly and how to hook it up?

(Currently online) curiousmark
curiousmark
Sep 19, 2013 at 7:19:15 PM  |  #5

You want to do this with a series 1?  

You should start at weaknees.com and see if they have any old cache cards available that will give you an Ethernet port.  Then you will need to get a wireless bridge adapter and configure that on a PC to work with your home wireless network.  You will then need to connect the bridge to your new Ethernet port and configure the DVR to talk to the TiVo service over the network.  Weaknees should have some directions for this that go with the cachecard.

This change is not for the faint of heart, but if you still have a ten or 12 year old series 1 running, you definitely aren't faint of heart.

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 408
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS