At beginning of post row.
(Last Login: May 12, 2009 at 7:49:56 PM) dmtherob
0 followers
Can I still buy a Tivo for Direct TV?
Feb 4, 2007 at 12:55:57 AM  |  #1
I have two Tivo's (which I love) and one in house DirecTV DVR (which is horrid). Can I still buy a Tivo that will work with DirecTV? Or will I have to switch to another service?

TIA
Rob
(Last Login: April 24, 2014 5:20 AM) pdonoghu
pdonoghu
Feb 4, 2007 at 7:48:45 AM  |  #2
You can use a Series 2 with a DrecTV. You will not get HD recording, or be able to record two shows at the same time.

Alternatively, you could look for a used DirecTV brand Tivo. Take a look here http://www.weaknees.com/
(Last Login: Dec 21, 2013 at 10:45:03 PM) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
Feb 5, 2007 at 3:08:33 AM  |  #3
I have seen new DirecTV with TiVo DVR's in Costco. You could check there as well.

Barry
(Last Login: May 12, 2009 at 7:49:56 PM) dmtherob
0 followers
Feb 5, 2007 at 7:27:52 AM  |  #4
I looked at WeekKnee's and they are pretty expensive and there is no Cosco in my area (although we do have Sam's). I thought maybe eBay or Overstock might have one. Does anyone know if/when DirecTV is going to stop supporting the Tivo brand? And if anyone knows, does DishNetwork have Tivo?

TIA
Rob
(Last Login: Dec 21, 2013 at 10:45:03 PM) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
Feb 5, 2007 at 9:55:00 AM  |  #5
I don't think that DirecTV is planning on not supporting the DirecTV DVR with TiVo but it no longer being made so that may be an indication. DirecTV has severed it's business relationship with TiVo and is selling their own brand of DVR and application software now.

Dish network doesn't have TiVo.

You may be able to get a used one.

I have DirecTV and am using series 2 TiVo's. I have 43 of them and 2 are connected to SD receivers and 2 to HD receivers. While the video image is very good for general viewing I do on occasion switch to watch live programming in high definition for some movies and sports events.

Because of the cost of the alternatives (especially if you want TiVo) you may want to consider a stand alone series 2. This TiVo will handle cable, satellite and OTA (over the air) programming.

Barry
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 221
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS