First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) kitalooclef
0 followers
Random reboots with 7.3.1
Sep 26, 2006 at 11:18:12 PM  |  #1
Our tivo started randomly rebooting last week. We had this problem previously, last year when we first bought it. Then, it was a problem with the Tivo wireless adapter. They never actually fixed the problem and we forgot about it. Then, when we moved, we tried it and it worked (they must have fixed it and didn't inform us). So, we're using the Tivo wireless adapter, our software is 7.3.1. We do use Tivo desktop and bonjour, though it just rebooted when I wasn't using bonjour, so I don't think that's the problem. One possibility is that we just bought a reciever and our tivo is now hooked up through that. Could that be a problem?

Is this happening recently to anyone else? I see a lot of older forum posts on that issue, but not as many recently.

Thanks!
(Currently online) bedelman
bedelman
Sep 26, 2006 at 11:52:32 PM  |  #2
The Bonjour issue only takes place when you use a chat client with Bonjour enabled like iChat or Fire on Mac OSX or Trillian Pro on Windows. On any of these chat clients, you can disable the Bonjour feature and you should be fine (as I have been for months once I realized the correlation back when the TiVo Adapter first came out -- and I would get a reboot at least once a day before I found the correlation)

Using Bonjour itself is no problem (it's used for discovery of printers, other computers, and even TiVo boxes) -- it's only having the Bonjour protocol enabled in a Chat client that the issue arises.

It might not cause the TiVo to reboot immediately, but it can set it up to reboot at some time in the future -- usually when the TiVo goes to do something that deals with the network (like going into the Now Playing List)

If you need assistance on how to disable the Bonjour features in your chat client, let us know which Chat client you're using (and which version).

- Bob
(Never Logged In) kitalooclef
0 followers
Sep 27, 2006 at 10:07:37 AM  |  #3
Ooh very interesting. I use Trillian 3 Pro and use Bonjour, but I'll disable it and see if the reboots stop. I guess the reboots have been happening when I try to go to the Now Playing list...hm very strange. Will updates to Tivo's software/updates to Trillian Pro fix this issue?

Thanks for the info!
(Last Login: July 29, 2014 6:49 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Sep 27, 2006 at 10:26:48 AM  |  #4
>Will updates to Tivo's software/updates to Trillian Pro fix this issue?

We all certainly hope so. At this point I am not sure any of us here in the forum even know if it is the chat clients misusing Bonjour, or if they are using correctly, but the TiVo is allergic to it somehow. So where the fix comes from is also a guess. It couldn't hurt to report the problem to Trillian, just so they know about it too.

Mark
bedelman
Sep 27, 2006 at 4:09:24 PM  |  #5
Since this issue only appears to affect boxes using the TiVo Wireless Adapter, I'm hoping it can be addressed by making a change to the driver for the adapter (which is held on the TiVo itself) -- which would then be a part of a software release.

If it doesn't get fixed, some folks are going to start calling me "Bonjour Bob" ;-)
(Never Logged In) sparks
0 followers
Sep 30, 2006 at 12:58:50 AM  |  #6
FWIW, if /iChat/ -- which defined the Bonjour chat protocol -- is causing reboots (which appears to be the problem on my net), then the problem isn't Trillian. ;) I have to wonder if the 7.3.1 service had the beginnings of Bonjour chat (check your schedule/whatever via Bonjour chat? I dunno), and the code wasn't quite turned off.

As one of the Trillian devs, I know Trillian Pro at least doesn't broadcast on any Bonjour service but the chat one, so that shouldn't be a problem.
5.05.05.05.05.0 (1 rating)
bedelman
Sep 30, 2006 at 4:05:53 AM  |  #7
All I can tell you is what I and others have found from personal experience -- and which has been verified by others who have found that disabling the Bonjour protocol in their chat client stopped the issue.

Firing up a chat client that is able to use the Bonjour protocol to handle chats, will cause a TiVo box using the TiVo Wireless Adapter to reboot. This has been observed with the chat clients I listed -- including Trillian Pro

This only happens with the TiVo Wireless Adapter -- so it's likely to be something to do with the driver being used -- something about the initial discovery packets that go out to locate other chat clients on the network also using Bonjour as a protocol causes the trouble.
(Last Login: Dec 20, 2007 at 11:34:23 AM) sgscholl
0 followers
Oct 1, 2006 at 12:17:14 AM  |  #8
Sorry for the "Monkey Wrench in the Machine", but ironically I just had my TIVO restart itself. I am not aware of Bonjour and I am using PCs and not Macs. I am however using a wireless adapter that was recommended by TIVO. It is a Netgear WG111. This is the first time I am aware of this problem but it is quite possible that it has been happening when I am out and not watching TV. This would lead me to believe that it is pointing more to the wireless adapter and not the computer or operating system that we are using. Truth be know however, I am no computer genius by any means but work extensively with both Macs and PCs and know enough to be very dangerous.

-Steve
(Never Logged In) clarkl
0 followers
Oct 6, 2006 at 10:22:50 PM  |  #9
I have an older Series 2 and a brand new Series 2 Dual Tuner.

For years, I have had a Linksys 802.11b adapter in the original Series 2 and have never had any problems. This past month, I just purchased the new Dual Tuner TiVo and 2 of the new TiVo Wireless G adapters. They worked without any problems for about 2 weeks solid.

Then... I started getting the random reboots. They would occur sometimes just when the TiVo was paused during playback, and sometimes I could make it happen when I would press the TiVo button the remote to go back to Now Playing.

I have 2 Macs in the house with iChat running and Bonjour enabled. And it has been that way for at least 2 1/2 years.

What is confusing to me is that everything had been working just fine, then all the problems just seemed to start all at the same time out of the blue.

I contacted TiVo support by phone and they blamed it on the wireless adapters... said the ones I had were defective. I found that hard to believe that both of them would go bad at the same time. TiVo support also said that it is possible that my TiVo boxes were defective and needed to be replaced. I also find that hard to believe that both of them would go bad at the same time, just as I started using new wireless adapters.

I followed their first recommendation and just got replacements for the 2 wireless adapters today. The instant I connected one of them to the Dual Tuner box, it rebooted.

Given what I have experienced, I have to believe that it's not a defect in my TiVo boxes, nor is it a defective (actually 4 defective) wireless adapters, but is is either a problem in their driver (for their own wireless adapter), or a bad design of the wireless adapter.

Given what some have posted above, I plan to try to disable Bonjour in iChat and see if my problems are resolved. If that doesn't work, I guess I'm going to have to try a non-TiVo adapter and see if that works better.

Seems like a nice bit of quality work on TiVo's part to release a wireless adapter guaranteed to work with all TiVo Series-2 boxes, yet... doesn't work. I might could understand having a problem with a 3rd-party adapter, but using their own... doesn't speak well for them.

- C L
bedelman
Oct 7, 2006 at 9:42:34 AM  |  #10
>I have 2 Macs in the house with iChat running and Bonjour enabled. And it has been that way for at least 2 1/2 years.

>I plan to try to disable Bonjour in iChat and see if my problems are resolved.

The Bonjour reboot issue with a chat client is specific to the TiVo Wireless Adapter -- which is why you were fine for 2 1/2 years

Go into iChat and turn off the Bonjour support (Preferences -> Accounts -> Bonjour -> uncheck "use Bonjour Instant Messaging")

Since I first found the correlation (several months ago), I have not had a problem ever since -- and I was getting at least two or three reboots a day.

The same happened to my 25 year old son (who lives 300 miles away). At the time, he had called customer support and they deemed that he would have to have his TiVo replaced. Fortunately, he spoke with me first -- and when we turned off Bonjour messaging at his place, the problem went away for him as well.
(Never Logged In) dhcernese
0 followers
Oct 31, 2006 at 9:55:38 AM  |  #11
Just wanted to say "ditto". New Tivo w/new drive, randomly rebooting. Turned off Trillian Pro's Rendezvous and voila, no more rebooting!
(Never Logged In) calpher
0 followers
Nov 10, 2006 at 8:59:10 AM  |  #12
I am using this same wireless network adapter. Is there anyway to uopdate the driver in the Tivo box? I do not use any of those chat clients so it either the Tivo box or the adapter.
(Never Logged In) larsenn
0 followers
Nov 15, 2006 at 2:08:49 PM  |  #13
I had the same problem with 7.3.1 on my Humax box. I used the following procedure and it fixed the problem. It apparently checks the filesystem and tries to rebuild it if it finds a problem.

http://69.28.82.116/pe/action/forums/displaypost?postID=10112421

Use code 57
(Never Logged In) calpher
0 followers
Nov 15, 2006 at 2:17:34 PM  |  #14
Cool! Thanks for the help. I will try it when I get home.
(Never Logged In) lorilou97
0 followers
Nov 15, 2006 at 11:07:15 PM  |  #15
Okay, I just noticed random rebooting about a week ago and thought maybe it was just a software upgrade or something coming through but it's happened three times today. I don't have ichat, trillion or any of the others mentioned. I have a series two on a wireless network that's been working fine for over a year. I haven't made any changes and this suddenly started, I don't know when as I watch tv sporadically but it's been happening while I'm watching regular tv not in the menu's. Anyone else having this problem?
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 2383
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS