At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) pims
0 followers
new motorila cable box - now remote won't work + dvr records wrong channel
Aug 18, 2006 at 6:00:54 PM  |  #1
I had a new cable box installed (a tiny motorola with no type number on it), and I started having 2 problems:
1. My tivo remote won't change the channel on the tv/cablebox.
2. The dvr records programs I request, but it records the program on the last channel that the tv was on, not the channel the requested program was on.

I assume it has to do with the way the cable guy set it up. Can someone walk me through how this should be set up? I need simple instructions.
Thanks!
(Last Login: Jul 26, 2014 at 12:31:36 PM) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
Aug 18, 2006 at 6:07:06 PM  |  #2
The DVR is recording the wrong channel because the TiVo is not making the channel changes.

Did your cable guy hook the IR emitters (or serial connection) up to the new cable box? If not, you need to make this connection. The instructions for channel control are here: http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1098.htm?

There should be some model number on the cable box somewhere (probably on the bottom) and it would be very helpful to know the model number.

Let me know what you find out.

Barry
(Last Login: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:37:12 AM) dennistivo
0 followers
Sep 15, 2006 at 11:32:08 PM  |  #3
Re: new Motorola cable box - now remote won't work + DVR records wrong channel
Comcast cable box mfg is Motorola Model # DCT 6200/2005
TiVo series 2- 80 hours
Panasonic HDTV 37PX60U
My problem is that Tivo will only record the channel that is currently setup on the comcast cable box. Does that mean that if I want to record a particular station on tivo, the comcast must also be on that station??

My setup is the cable from the wall is split. One goes to the back of the comcast box and from the box this is connected to the tivo via a RF cable; the second cable is connected to the tv and is connected to the tivo via composite cables ( tivo out to tv in).
The cable box has IR emitters originating from the tivo.
If you want to record a show via tivo, the comcast cable box must be also tuned to that station?? If that is the case how can you use the Season Pass feature to record your favorite shows? Does that mean you have to constantly change comcast cable box station in order to record your shows?? This defeat the purpose of a tivo box.
Any suggestion will be appreciated.
(Last Login: Sep 10, 2014 at 4:43:09 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Sep 15, 2006 at 11:55:37 PM  |  #4
Go into the System Information screen on the TiVo and see if it shows "Cable box, IR" for the Program Source. If it doesn't, you'll need to repeat Guided Setup and indicate that it is working with a cable box.

The IR emitters are used by the TiVo to control the cable box and change the channel on the cable box (the TiVo effectively uses the cable box as its tuner)

You may want to go into the Channel Changing area in the Settings screens and setup the IR emitters. I use a TiVo with a Motorola 6200 cable box and I use the 00093C code (you can see the code by going into "Advanced Setup" in the IR channel changing setup screen.
(Last Login: Jul 26, 2014 at 12:31:36 PM) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
Sep 16, 2006 at 12:02:34 AM  |  #5
If your programming comes from the Comcast cable box then the cable box must be on the channel that you want to record.

The way you should be set up is this:

Cable from wall split. One side goes to RF connection (antenna/cable) on television so that you can select that input to watch analog programming while the TiVo is recording programming coming from the cable box. The other side of the split will go to the cable in on the cable box.

Then connect the cable box to the television using the composite connections (Pr Pb Y and left and right audio). This connection will allow you to watch high definition programming (remember that what ever channel the cable box is on is what is going to the TiVo).

Connect the cable box to the TiVo using the s-video cable and the left and right audio. Part of the setup will include installing the IR emitters to allow the TiVo to change channels.

Connect the TiVo to the television using the s-video and left and right audio. This will allow you to view recorded programming on the TiVo or to watch programs and have the TiVo functions (pause, rewind, slow motion and so on) available.

You will then have 3 inputs to the television. The first will be the RF input from the wall to view analog programming from your cable company (this will not include any premium channels). The second will be for watching programming in high definition. I use this for sporting events and movies and I find the quality of video from the TiVo to be quite adequate for normal television viewing. And the last input will be the input from the TiVo.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Barry
(Last Login: Aug 16, 2009 at 12:37:12 AM) dennistivo
0 followers
Sep 17, 2006 at 1:12:57 AM  |  #6
Barry,
Thanks for the detail setup. I am now able to record while watching another channel on the tv.

Dennis
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 633
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS