First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) coolcat1990
0 followers
Tivo messing with my phone..
May 21, 2006 at 1:18:32 PM  |  #1
My Internet still works, and the Tivo can dial out and get updates... Its just that ever since i plugged in the Tivo to my house phone, the Caller ID on the phone reads NO LINE... And when i pick it up its dead air.. Even when the tivo is unplugged from the phone line the phone line still reads no line.. And this only happened after i plugged the Tivo in..

I am able to get it back up sometimes... Do i need to change any settings in my tivo to get the phone line back? Ever since i plugged the Tivo in it has screwed up my phone... I have tried a different phone also... My DSL still works which is through the phone line... Any settings in need to change in my tivo? And make it dial out with those new settings to fix it?
(Last Login: July 23, 2014 3:48 PM) bbasiliere
bbasiliere
May 21, 2006 at 1:50:43 PM  |  #2
Have you installed a filter on the phone jack that the TiVo is connected to? This will cause problems.

I had a similar problem and found that there was a faulty phone (I had a cheap one that was built into a recliner) and after disconnecting that phone the problem went away.

Depending on how many phones you have this can be quite a process but I would suggest going around and, one at a time, disconnect each phone you have, give the line a chance to reset, and see if removing one of them clears up the problem.

Please post your results.

Barry
0 followers
May 21, 2006 at 2:54:22 PM (Updated: May 21, 2006 at 2:57:14 PM)  |  #3
The tivo does have a filter on it (even though there is no phone connected to it, and still same results.. Unplugging the filer makes no difference either) maybe my DSL is messing with it? i dunno..... And the phone is not even connected into that jack that the tivo is.. The phone is in the kitchen.. Its one of those expandable phone sets, the main one is in the kitchen and there is the expandable one that does not require its own jack in another room.. They both read No line.. I have tried another phone set..

The tivo can update and connect, just my phone line does not work.. The DSL on it is fine...
bbasiliere
May 21, 2006 at 3:04:28 PM  |  #4
The TiVo definitely needs a filter on it. I am assuming that there is a filter on the phone in the kitchen. Are you sure that there are no other phones (or phone connections) in your home. No alarm system, no separate phone line to a computer, no fax machine, no cable box or satellite receiver?

I have a phone setup like yours and when I first installed it was when I found the problem with an old phone.

If you disconnect the phone line to the TiVo and allow it to remain disconnected for about 30 minutes, does the phone line reset itself?

Let me know what you find.

Barry
0 followers
May 21, 2006 at 4:57:16 PM  |  #5
I have tried the filers.... The phone still does not work, even after disconnecting the Tivo, I put a filter on the phone even though it did not have the tivo connected at that jack..

Does the Tivo jack and the phone in the kitchen's jack need filters on them? There is no other device connected to any other phone jacks, no alarm system... No cable box, or satellite.. This is standard Comcast Cable.. we have tried another phone also.. still same thing...
bbasiliere
May 21, 2006 at 5:42:30 PM  |  #6
You must install filters on any jack that has a phone or modem (not your DSL modem). The purpose of the filter is to separate out the DSL signal and remove that signal from the phone lines so that there is no interference. Any non-DSL device you have connected to a phone jack will require a filter.

If the problem continues you may need to make sure that the phone line itself is OK. Usually this can be done by plugging in a regular phone in the box on the outside of the house to insure that the problem is somewhere inside.

There is always the possibility that the TiVo has a problem with the modem and to eliminate that as the problem you would need to disconnect the TiVo and allow the phone line time to reset itself. If after that you don't have more problems, reconnect the TiVo and force a connection. If the problem starts again, there is a problem with the TiVo. If that is the case, you may want to consider using your Internet connection for your TiVo instead of the phone line and stop using the internal modem.

Please let me know what steps you have taken and what the outcome is.

Barry
0 followers
May 21, 2006 at 5:51:08 PM  |  #7
The line where im plugging this in does have a DSL filter, which separates DSL from the phone.. Does that count? and when i put a filter on the phone in the kitchen.. same results.. and the line has not had a problem with anything up until when i plugged the Tivo in yesterday..

I take the tivo off the line, and it does not reset, it just sits and says No line on the caller ID, i will test the phone in the box...
bbasiliere
May 21, 2006 at 6:01:29 PM  |  #8
Any phone plugged into any jack in the house will need a filter as well as any other phone related equipment (computer modem (not DSL) answering machine, fax machine, alarm system, etc.).

Is the TiVo new? If it is not coincidental to hooking up the TiVo you may have a faulty modem in the TiVo and the modem is not releasing the line. If the TiVo is new, I would call for service on it and if you purchased it locally you may need to swap it out.

Barry
0 followers
May 21, 2006 at 6:14:21 PM  |  #9
It is new, and the tivo is not even plugged in and the phone still reads no line after i unplug it...
bbasiliere
May 21, 2006 at 6:20:13 PM  |  #10
You may need to leave the TiVo unplugged for a half hour or so to let the phone line resert itself.

Barry
0 followers
May 21, 2006 at 6:20:45 PM  |  #11
Also, i do have call waiting on my phone line.. it is necessary to put the *70 as the prefix right?

and since my phone system has an anwering thing the check for dial tone thing is disabled right? The tivo can dial up and everything, im just wondering if it messes up the line?
bbasiliere
May 21, 2006 at 6:32:03 PM  |  #12
There are different codes to disable call waiting. You need to check with your local phone service what is used but it is normally *70. I know that Verizon's system uses *70. I don't know what answering thing you are referring to so I can't comment on that. If the TiVo is able to dial, the internal modem may not be releasing the line again.

What kind of phone system is it and is it new? I have a vtech with a base and 6 additional stations.
0 followers
May 21, 2006 at 6:36:00 PM  |  #13
ATT base and one additional stations.. and the provider of the phone line is ATT
bbasiliere
May 21, 2006 at 6:46:24 PM  |  #14
If the phone resets itself after the TiVo has been disconnected for at least a half hour, I would say that the problem is the modem in the TiVo and I would contact the place where you purchased it to see about getting it replaced. If it does not reset itself, I would contact the phone company and see if there are any tests it can do on the line. I am pretty sure they will ask you to check at the box where the phone service comes into the house to make sure that it is not a problem in the house.

Barry
0 followers
May 22, 2006 at 6:00:47 PM  |  #15
I went out and tested the phone in the box, it was fine.. So i went to the jack that my phone was plugged into... And took it apart, found that a wire was loose... So it was just a coincidence, that it came loose when i plugged my tivo into a different jack across the house LOL!.... Anyways, all is good now.. The TiVo and the phone are fine! Thanks again!...
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 838
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS