At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) cmc
0 followers
How to connect TiVo, vcr, tv, and DVD player?????
Aug 11, 2005 at 8:43:21 AM  |  #1
Please help..... im trying to connect my tv, tivo, vcr, and dvd player together. I have have no clue what to try. I can hear my dvd player, but cant seem to get a picture... someone please help.
Thanks
(Last Login: Apr 2, 2010 at 10:39:08 AM) classicsat
classicsat
0 followers
Aug 11, 2005 at 10:10:54 AM  |  #2
You need to connect eatch to SEPARATE A/V inputs on your TV. If you don't have enough, get an A/V selector.
(Last Login: Apr 28, 2014 at 8:35:11 AM) mawhite
mawhite
Aug 11, 2005 at 1:04:00 PM  |  #3
If you only have 1 input to the tv you could try:

cable from the wall to the tivo.

cable from tivo to the vcr

vcr to the television.

connect the dvd player to the vcr with the red/white/yellow cord (dvd output to vcr input)

to watch tivo turn the tv to channel 3 or 4 and turn the vcr off.

to watch a vcr tape put the tivo into standby mode and turn the tv to channel 3 or 4 and turn the vcr on put in a tape and hit play.

to watch a dvd make sure the tivo is in standby. turn on the dvd player and the vcr. turn the tv to channel 3 or 4. turn the vcr to the channel before 2 (it might be called input 1 or video 1) and then you can watch the dvd on the tv.
(Never Logged In) cmc
0 followers
Aug 11, 2005 at 3:38:33 PM  |  #4
Thank you, both!. If i add anything else ill use the AV selector. Mawhite, i tried it and it worked, thanks.
(Never Logged In) mdindestin
0 followers
Aug 24, 2005 at 7:47:17 PM (Updated: Aug 24, 2005 at 8:13:59 PM)  |  #5
I have no cable box or sattelite. My TV has one set of A/V inputs and one cable input. I also have a DVD burner and a new TiVo hooked up:

cable from the wall to the tivo

cable from the tivo to the dvd burner

cable from dvd burner to the tv

RCA A/V out on TiVo to RCA in on DVD burner

When I turn on the DVD to burn a DVD from TiVo, I get a scrambled picture of what appears to be both the TV signal and the DVD burner menu.

Obviously, I'm not clear on how to properly hook things up and would appreciate some advice.

I want to be able to burn a DVD from TIVO while watching another TV show.
(Last Login: Feb 11, 2010 at 2:20:19 PM) ccwf
ccwf
0 followers
Aug 24, 2005 at 8:49:36 PM  |  #6
To be able to burn a DVD while watching another TV show live, you will need to get a splitter. These are very inexpensive and can be purchased at places like RadioShack.

Connect the coaxial from the wall to the splitter. Connect coaxial from the splitter to the TiVo DVR input. Connect coaxial from the splitter to your TV input.

Remove the coaxial cable you currently have to and from the DVD recorder.
(Never Logged In) mdindestin
0 followers
Aug 25, 2005 at 1:01:28 PM  |  #7
Re: How to connect TiVo, TV, and DVD player/burner?
Thanks for your help.

I purchased and installed the spliltter as you indicated and I'm now able to switch between regular cable TV and TiVo.

One problem remains. I can't play a DVD or see the DVD player's menu to set up a burn.

I have one A/V Video out from the TiVo to the TV.

The other A/V out from the TiVo is to the DVD burner.

Nothing is plugged into the DVD burner output.

MD
(Last Login: Feb 11, 2010 at 2:20:19 PM) ccwf
ccwf
0 followers
Aug 25, 2005 at 6:39:17 PM  |  #8
Re: How to connect TiVo, TV, and DVD player/burner?
Well, you could do it by having the TiVo DVR output go to the DVD recorder and have that go to your TV's inputs. But that would mean having to have the DVD recorder on in order to watch the TiVo DVR output.

If you want to be able to leave the DVD recorder off, then get an A/V switch (again available at places like RadioShack). It will allow you to switch between sending the TiVo DVR output and the DVD recorder output to your TV's A/V inputs. You'll also need enough sets of A/V cables to go from the TiVo DVR output to the switch, from the DVD recorder output to the switch, from the switch to your TV, and from the TiVo DVR's other outputs to your DVD recorder input.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 7408
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS