At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) mrzero
0 followers
Wireless file sharing
Apr 5, 2005 at 8:03:51 PM  |  #1
I have a tivo box that has version 7.1 of the software on it. I have successfully set it up on the wireless network. It can connect to the Internet and download information. I have not been able to get it to share files with my PC. I am running the tivo desktop software. I have Win/XP SP2 on my computer and have the firewall turned off. Is there some other setting somewhere that I need to change in order to see my tivo box with my PC or vice versa?
(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Apr 5, 2005 at 8:15:30 PM  |  #2
The only supported way to get recordings off of your TiVo is with the TiVo desktop: www.tivo.com/desktop
(Last Login: September 19, 2014 6:14 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Apr 6, 2005 at 10:49:03 AM  |  #3
This has been a fairly common problem. There are lots of threads with different answers, one of which might help you. To summarize:
Look on your Tivo and verify that the Media Access Key has been downloaded from the Tivo service. If it shows something like not available, try forcing a daily update to get it. Also, make sure it is entered correctly in Tivo Desktop
Next, verify that you don't have any other firewalls running on your PC, some privacy software, virus scanners, and virtual private networks include a firewall function that will block Tivo Desktop from seeing the Tivo broadcast beacon that it needs to find the Tivo.
Some users have found there are settings for their computers network interface that interfere and need tweaking, it is hard to be more specific than that without knowing a lot more about your PC.
The Tivo and PC must be on the same subnet for the broadcast signal to make it to the PC. Some routers place the hardwired and wireless segments of their network on different subnets, check your router settings.
Some users find they didn't change their router to use a unique SSID and discover their Tivo and PC are actually on different networks, usually the Tivo ends up using a neighbors network. You can test for this by pinging the Tivo from your PC. Also if your SSID is not unique, CHANGE IT NOW.
Finally, and this is unlikely, but sometimes XP gets allergic to Wireless networks with SSID broadcast off. XP keeps dropping the connection and hunting and you find yourself repairing the connection a lot. Turn SSID broadcast on to fix that.

Good luck,
Mark
(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Apr 6, 2005 at 10:56:45 AM  |  #4
I should have asked for clarification... folks often assume that their TiVo will show up in the "Network Neighborhood" on their PCs -- that's what I read from the "file sharing" part of the subject.

It will be interesting to hear what the problem actually is.
(Never Logged In) mrzero
0 followers
Apr 6, 2005 at 6:40:09 PM  |  #5
Its a good thing you mentioned VPNs. I have a Cisco VPN client. The firewall was on. I would have never thought of that. I think my desktop software can see the Tivo, but now there is some sort of discrepancy between the keys on the Tivo and the PC. Thanks
(Last Login: September 19, 2014 6:14 AM) curiousmark
curiousmark
Apr 7, 2005 at 3:31:17 PM  |  #6
Make sure you hand enter the key into Tivo Desktop. Read it off your Tivo to make sure you have it right. Some folks have copied and pasted the key from the website and didn't realize they were also pasting non-printing characters that can mess things up.

Mark
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 405
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS