First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) rwcguy
0 followers
Incorrect Time
Feb 15, 2005 at 10:21:45 PM  |  #1
Ever since my Tivo Series 2 was upgraded to version 7.____ the time on my progam guide is off by 3 or 4 minutes. I have tried the Tivo suggestions of connecting to the Tivo Service to reset the time but that has not helped. Any suggestions?
(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Feb 16, 2005 at 10:10:08 AM  |  #2
Get the TiVo to display the time by pressing Select-Play-Select-9-Select while playing a recording. Compare the time on the TiVo to the time here: http://nist.time.gov/ Is it really off? If so, are you sure you have successfully connected to the TiVo service?

That key sequence is a toggle. Press it again to turn the time off.
(Never Logged In) dukester
0 followers
Feb 20, 2005 at 6:51:08 PM  |  #3
I also have a time problem - the program guide on the internet is 4 hours off from the real time that I know a program will be on (i.e., a basketball game at 8:30 shows it is recorded at 4:30). Any suggestions as to why?
Thanks.
(Last Login: Jul 24, 2014 at 5:54:32 PM) sinanju
sinanju
0 followers
Feb 20, 2005 at 7:17:20 PM  |  #4
Wrong time zone? Repeat guided setup to fix it.
(Never Logged In) rheiser
0 followers
Feb 26, 2005 at 8:17:28 PM  |  #5
I'm having the same problem, within the last two weeks the time on Tivo is 14 minutes fast, I'm losing the last 14 minutes of everything I record. I've tried connecting manually, it didn't work. Any help would be appreciated.
(Last Login: Feb 11, 2010 at 2:20:19 PM) ccwf
ccwf
0 followers
Feb 27, 2005 at 8:58:56 PM  |  #6
This just shouldn't happen. Is your TiVo DVR failing to call in? The time is reset on each daily call.

If you toggle on the on-screen clock (Select Play Select 9 Select while playing a recording), do you see that egregiously wrong time?
0 followers
Mar 3, 2005 at 6:24:36 AM  |  #7
While it shouldn't happen, it does. I've toggled the on screen time and sure enough the TIVO time is 11-12 minutes faster than the cable time. Note the cable time is conisitent with network times and any other "offical" time source I've looked at. I've forced multiple connections - all of which spend 1-2 minutes "setting the clock", but the time remains the same: 11-12 minutes fast. The second TIVO in the house had the correct time until last week and is now 2 minutes fast. The updates over the network are ok, program information is always available and the status shows sucessful updates every day.

The only option I see is to redo guided set up (which I avoid like the plague since I have to run a very long phone line to the nearest phone jack and can't use the wireless network). Any other suggestions around resetting the clock would be appreciated.
(Last Login: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:57:54 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Mar 3, 2005 at 8:07:07 AM  |  #8
Although I cannot comment on your time issue, you CAN repeat guided setup if you already have a working broadband connection with your TiVo DVR (the critical point is that there must already be a working/valid broadband connection)

Can I Use My Broadband Connection to Repeat Guided Setup?
http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv1164.htm
(Last Login: Feb 11, 2010 at 2:20:19 PM) ccwf
ccwf
0 followers
Mar 3, 2005 at 9:56:37 AM  |  #9
Could you please try forcing a daily call right now to see if that fixes the problem? You must do a daily call, not a test call to reset the clock.

I looked at TiVo's time servers, and they all appear to be fine (~5ms off). (Their reported frequency adjustment indicates their tick should be adjusted by one. However, that minor lack of tuning just means they are a couple of milliseconds less accurate than they could be.) Of course, if they weren't fine, then all standalone TiVo owners would be having problems.

If the clocks on your TiVo DVRs are not set correctly after the daily call, I suspect your ISP or your router is blocking or playing games with UDP port 123, which is the port most of the Internet uses to keep time. Note that there will be no visible indication of this problem since the Phone & Network screen does not report failures to set the clock.

See if any network time applications using NTP on your computers misbehave. If they have problems, too, then that definitely points to an ISP or router problem.

You could also try using the long phone to make one daily call. That bypasses your ISP and router and any problems they may be causing.

I don't see how redoing guided setup would help. It sets the time in the same way as regular calls.
(Never Logged In) jessie83
0 followers
Mar 3, 2005 at 4:06:51 PM  |  #10
In version 7, you can also display the clock by bringing up the channel bar in either Live TV or recording playback. It is located to the right of the Channel's logo, above the channel name. (This may be cut off on some old televisions)
(Never Logged In) sonicjmc
0 followers
Mar 3, 2005 at 4:12:54 PM  |  #11
Unplug your TiVo.
Plug it back in and wait for it to boot.
Once it is booted, force a daily call.

Does this help?
To check the clock, just bring up the banner on LiveTV.

If it's off by 15 mins or less, it's not a Time Zone problem.

-Jeff
Former ALL-STAR
(Never Logged In) douglad
0 followers
Mar 9, 2005 at 1:58:33 PM  |  #12
I'm having the same problem with online scheduling being three or four hours off. I've reset and gone through the guided setup three times. Everything is fine, yet this continues to happen.
Help??
(Last Login: Jul 29, 2014 at 11:57:54 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Mar 9, 2005 at 2:46:45 PM  |  #13
>I'm having the same problem with online scheduling being three or
>four hours off. I've reset and gone through the guided setup three times.

Has your DVR made a full connection to the TiVo Service yet? The time zone setting of the DVR is sent up to TiVo Central Online and it takes a few hours for it to be incorporated into the profile of the DVR. Before the setting is incorporated into the profile, TiVo Central Online defaults to Pacific Time.

You can check your connection status by going into the Phone & Network Settings screen -- where you can also "force" another connection to the TiVo Service. Note that a "test connection" will not do this -- it needs to be a regular connection.

After a regular connection is made, TiVo Central Online should make the adjustment within a few hours of the call.

Of course, this is dependent upon the time zone setting being correct on the DVR as well -- but you can see what time it thinks it is when you pull up the on-screen LiveTV guide.

- Bob
0 followers
Mar 9, 2005 at 5:53:54 PM  |  #14
I have finally fixed the problem, there is an earlier post regarding the proper port used by TIVO to get the time that must be opened in the network firewall. I checked and found that this port was not opened and TIVO connected and acted like it had gotten the correct time when it never had. I opened the port in the firewall, forced a connection (for the 6th time) and the time immediately reset to the proper time. Everything is now working fine.

Thanks for all your help everyone.
(Never Logged In) wayace
0 followers
Mar 16, 2007 at 7:01:24 PM  |  #15
I am still off by 5 minutes, restarting did not help. How did you get yours to finally get the correct time. I understand what you are saying, but am unsure how to do to do it (i.e. - what specific menus/commands you used).
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 3707
First   |  Previous     Page 1 of 2     Next   |  Last
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS