At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) marian
0 followers
Trouble connecting after access number change
Dec 18, 2004 at 10:14:43 AM  |  #1
I got a message saying that my local access number is no longer valid, but when I go to obtain a new number, the DVR will not connect. The exact message I get is "Failed. Couldn't Connect."

I've been through the troubleshooting tips, I've disconnected the unit for longer than 15 seconds, I've reset it, I've tried various things with the dialing prefix and nothing works.

All I can tell you is that it was working fine before today. Also, I have phone service provided by my cable company, so I do not have to dial a 1 before dialing long distance calls, including 800 numbers. Perhaps this is the problem? Maybe my unit is trying to force the 1+ dialing.

Actually, after testing an 800 number just now on my handset, I find that I get nothing if I dial 1-800, but if I dial just 800, I connect. I'm fairly certain now that this is the problem.

Does anyone know how to change the settings in the DVR so that it does not try to dial a 1 when dialing in for access numbers?
(Last Login: Nov 7, 2013 at 7:40:24 PM) stevel
stevel
0 followers
Dec 18, 2004 at 2:27:19 PM  |  #2
That should be specified in the Phone Connection setup menu.
(Never Logged In) marian
0 followers
Dec 18, 2004 at 3:48:01 PM  |  #3
Thanks for the reply, but it's not. I've even called support and they were unable to help me. It is not possible for me to change the number that my TiVo dials to obtain access numbers and so I'm afraid that by changing my local access number, they've rendered my TiVo obsolete and unusable. Isn't that lovely?

I've already spent close to two hours trying to resolve this, including 30 minutes on the phone. Two hours of my life I will never get back, I might add.
(Last Login: Sep 10, 2014 at 4:43:09 PM) bedelman
bedelman
Dec 18, 2004 at 4:42:02 PM  |  #4
I see -- the problem is that when you go to change the number, it first wants to dial in to get the current list of access numbers. It is the first call that is failing so you can't go any further -- because it's not valid if it leads off with a "1"

Once you can get past getting the access numbers, you will get to choose the dialing format (where you can set it to only be the area code and number -- without the "1") -- except you can't get to that step

The good news is that there is a way around this and it is covered in the support articles on TiVo's web site.

Go to http://www.tivo.com/findanumber and find a local dial-in number for your area. Put the entire number as it should be dialed into the "Dial Prefix" field on the Phone Dialing Options screen. Press the PAUSE key twice at the end of the number to enter two commas (which will be pauses). Press SELECT to lock in this choice.

Press SELECT to "Use these dialing options" and it should make the call successfully.

I found the necessary information within this support article that covered how to do this during guided setup -- http://customersupport.tivo.com/knowbase/root/public/tv022501.htm (look down to the "First Call" section)
(Never Logged In) marian
0 followers
Dec 18, 2004 at 7:46:42 PM  |  #5
Thanks for the list of numbers, my dad suggested the same thing, but I'm using a Sony SVR-2000 with software version 3.0-01-1-010 and there is no way for me to manually enter a phone number into this thing (that I've been able to find anyway).

The oddest part is that I just tried to call my "invalid" local access line with my handset and a modem answered. I wonder why my TiVo can't seem to get it to connect.

Thanks for your help.
(Last Login: Nov 7, 2013 at 7:40:24 PM) stevel
stevel
0 followers
Dec 19, 2004 at 5:55:21 AM  |  #6
What you do is enter it as the "dialing prefix".
(Never Logged In) marian
0 followers
Dec 19, 2004 at 7:34:59 AM  |  #7
I gave that a shot and no cigar.

Does anyone know if the list of access numbers bedelman linked to above is the most current one? I only ask because the number I was using, and which the message said is no longer valid, is on that list.

I can get through to it using my handset.

I appreciate your help.
bedelman
Dec 19, 2004 at 8:34:37 AM  |  #8
That's the only link of which I'm aware on the TiVo site. If that number didn't work, is there another? Perhaps even one that would be a brief long distance call? The call you're trying to get through is quite brief -- it just pulls in the valid numbers within your area code.
(Never Logged In) marian
0 followers
Dec 19, 2004 at 8:48:36 AM (Updated: Dec 19, 2004 at 9:14:06 AM)  |  #9
"The call you're trying to get through is quite brief -- it just pulls in the valid numbers within your area code."

I'm a little confused now. I thought the number for that was an 800 number, and that the number used by TiVo to obtain the program guide data was the local access number (the latter being the one that was supposed to have been changed).

Long distance isn't an issue for me because I have flat-rate phone service. I've tried using a couple of different area codes.

I'll keep trying. Thanks.

Edit: I've just tested the modem by having it call my cell phone number. It worked, so I've ruled out the possibility that the modem isn't working. It's apparently simply unable to connect to the modem on the other side.
bedelman
Dec 19, 2004 at 10:09:25 AM  |  #10
It normally would be an 800 number but that doesn't work for you because it wants to put a "1" at the beginning.

That's why you're putting one of the local numbers into the dialing prefix in the correct format for your phone system with the two pauses at the end.

The idea that it will dial THAT number first (using the dialing prefix) before it goes to dial the 1-800 number and since it will have already be connected, the dialing of the 1-800 number will just be ignored.

It will dial the digits for the 1-800 number but since it will already be connected, it won't matter.
Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 621
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS