At beginning of post row.
(Never Logged In) h2ojared
0 followers
Monitoring Security Cameras with TiVo
Jun 30, 2004 at 8:50:08 AM (Updated: Dec 15, 2004 at 11:34:09 AM)  |  #1
[Archived]  
I am trying to set up my new Series 2 80hr TiVo to receive a video signal from a component of my company's security system. I want to use it to record the video output from the quad. (A quad, or quadriplexer, is the device which displays four black and white camera signals on one screen.)

For some reason, the guided setup isn't seeing that there is a signal from the quad. I told it I had a cable box setup and then scrolled through to the part where I selected the input source, I choose "composite" (red, white, yellow connection) and it didn't see that there was a source connected.

Is there some threshold for the resolution or signal quality, or a requirement to sense audio input which is preventing me from passing this part of the setup?

I am currently waiting for the configuration phone call to end so I can see if I get any signal at all when I go to "Live TV".

Thanks in advance for your help,

Jared
(Last Login: Nov 7, 2013 at 7:40:24 PM) stevel
stevel
0 followers
Jun 30, 2004 at 10:04:11 AM (Updated: Dec 15, 2004 at 11:34:09 AM)  |  #2
[Archived]  
If the cameras are black and white, this isn't going to work. The TiVo will insist on seeing a color component to the input signal. I've seen another user encounter the same problem. I don't think audio is required, though I am not 100% sure of that.
0 followers
Jun 30, 2004 at 11:18:34 AM (Updated: Dec 15, 2004 at 11:34:09 AM)  |  #3
[Archived]  
You might be correct. The signal coming into the TiVo is black and white. Does anybody know of an inexpensive fix which would allow me to trick the TiVo into thinking there is a color signal?

Perhaps something that will overlay the date/time in a different color?

Thanks for your help!
stevel
0 followers
Jun 30, 2004 at 6:33:21 PM (Updated: Dec 15, 2004 at 11:34:09 AM)  |  #4
[Archived]  
Try an RF modulator - often found for under $20 at places such as Radio Shack. My guess is that the modulator will make the TiVo happy. You'll run it into the RF input, of course.
0 followers
Jul 1, 2004 at 8:49:44 AM (Updated: Dec 15, 2004 at 11:34:09 AM)  |  #5
[Archived]  
I actually tried that, too. It works with a color input signal but I get the same problem when I connect the b/w signal to the RF modulator. I'm thinking maybe something that can overlay a time, date, or title that has the option to select a contrasting color for the text. Now, I might be getting into some more expensive hardware... I guess I could look into other DVR products from other manufacturers which don't have this restriction.

Thanks for your help!
stevel
0 followers
Jul 2, 2004 at 7:40:47 AM (Updated: Dec 15, 2004 at 11:34:09 AM)  |  #6
[Archived]  
You may have better luck with DVRs that are specifically designed for this purpose. smarthome.com has at least one, I know - there are others. I would also suggest that TiVo and other home-use PVRs are not designed for this model of operation.
(Last Login: Jul 5, 2011 at 7:39:39 AM) tboysworth
0 followers
Jul 5, 2011 at 7:46:55 AM  |  #7
[Archived]  

You might want to try a frame synchronizer or a video proc amp. In broadcasting, some videos are black and white. In order to time it to work with broadcast systems, we process the signal adding burst(which is the color subcarrier) most possibly thesignal the tivo is seeking. Video will still be black and white with no color fading through.  Check out www. bhphotovideo.com .

Number of people who have bookmarked this Bookmarked by: 0   Number of times this has been viewed Read by: 3973
Options
To sign up for notifications of comments on this item, you must first login.
:
Subscribe with RSS Subscribe with RSS